Martha Stewart Weddings, Summer 2011
You won the lottery when you found each other, so send this cheeky save-the-date card to let guests share in your luck. After scraping off the paint with a penny, they'll hit the jackpot: your wedding date!
- Ink-jet and laser printer
- 8 1/2-by-11-inch card stock in white or cream (you will print 2 cards per sheet)
- Craft knife and metal ruler
- Metallic acrylic paint (we used Golden Artist Colors acrylic paint in iridescent silver, $4.75, utrechtart.com)
- Liquid dish soap
- 1/4-inch-wide watercolor brush
- A7 envelopes (5 1/4 by 7 1/4 inches)
1. Download our PDF file, and open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader (if you are using a Mac, use Reader instead of Apple's Preview application). Most browsers already include this program, but if you have trouble downloading the file or would like to upgrade Acrobat Reader, you can obtain the latest version of the software for free from Adobe's website.
2. Replace the placeholder text with your own (you only need to do this in one box; the form will automatically fill in the rest), and print onto card stock.
3. Use the craft knife and metal ruler to cut between the crop marks (do not cut all the way to the edges of the paper; this will leave the crop marks intact around all the edges to guide subsequent cuts).
4. Combine one part dish soap with two parts metallic acrylic paint. Paint neatly over the number in the center of the hearts with a thin layer. Let it dry thoroughly, about 1 hour, and then add a second layer. Let second coat dry thoroughly (about 1 more hour) before putting the cards in the envelopes.
5. Mail the card with a "lucky" penny for scratching (you will need extra postage for this).